Hoop and bottle challenge
Video with setup and demonstration!
- Bottle with a small opening, hoop - embroidery or cut from 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe
- hex nut
- Balance the hoop on top of the bottle.
- Balance the nut on top of the hop.
- Remove the hoop so the nut falls into the bottle.
How do I get the nut to fall into the bottle?
Focus and discussion questions
- What affects the path the nut will take?
- What are the forces acting on the nut?
- When it is at rest on top.
- When the hoop moves.
- When the hoop is no longer in contact with it.
- How does the shape of the hoop (circle) make a difference? How and why?
- How does where the nut sits on the hoop make a difference? Tippy top or a bit off center.
- How does the smoothness or roughness of the surface of the nut and hoop make a difference?
- How does the speed of removing the hoop make a difference on the path the nut takes?
- How does how the hoop sits on the bottle make a difference? It sits in the mouth of the bottle. A bit lower than the top edge of the bottle.
- How do the following statements relate to the activity?
- Objects at rest tend to stay at rest, unless acted on by an external force.
- Objects in motion tend to stay in motion in a straight line, unless acted on by an external force.