- Essay Thinking about Science Education - Clyde Freeman Herreid
- Process of profesional development for science educators.
- Teaching for Conceptual Change - Kappan article
- Standards, benchmarks, frameworks - science plus
- Private Universe - 4 video series on construction of science ideas, video access & study sheets
- My relationship to science - Personal science exploration story
- Real life example of science and technology - MacCready article
- Frequently asked science interview questions FAC's .
- General Educator Professionalism .
Children's development of scientific ideas and reasoning
- Constructivist learning theory references | model | Variables for intellectual develpment model - Piaget |
- General characteristics of| childrens' thinking and development
- Children's development of scientific ideas and discrepent activities to assess them
- Science misconception - sources
- Fish is Fish - picture book and how people learn
- Physical Skills Necessary for Exploration
- Words to describe observations through all senses
- Science for All Children - ebook on line at the National Academies Press
- Development & recognition of science talent
When teachers talk about inquiry they are usually refering to one of three kinds of inquiry. Review the three kinds in the overview.
- Overview of inquiry and its relationship to science ß
- Inquiry - Scientific Inquiry, Investigation, or Experimenting: Misconceptions and Unpacked for Ethnographic and Experimental Concepts and suggestions
- Inquiry lessons grid - describes range of teacher - student centered
- Sample inquiry lessons that range from teacher - student centered
Nature of science
Facilitating science resources
Inductive teaching model -
- Learning cycle - Relative to a constructivist learning theory
- Learning cycle - As an Instructional Theory
- Learning cycle - Video of traditonal electrical circuit Learning Cycle lesson
- Learning cycles - Five different with instructional and learning theory notes
- Learning cycle - who does what? students or teacher?
- Learning cycle lesson summaries to review and make suggestions to improve as hands on and constructivists
- Common Knowledge Construction Model electronic presentation
- Support for | facts concepts and generalizations | Generalizations | Disequlibration | standards concepts outcomes |
- Research and applications for planning Environmental education ideas, lessons, units, & curriculum elements
Planning - Discussion on how to plan see Pedagogy section Planning.
- Considerations for Planning to Teach Concepts and Generalizations
- Category Explanations for Planning to Teach Big Ideas, Concepts or Generalizations
- Blank Concept Map
- Sample Concept Map for Sound
- Sample Concept Map for Classification
- Sample Concept Map for Mathematics Topic of Area
- Proof and reasoning
- Sample Concept Map for Dystopian Society
- Creation of concept map across grade levels (K-8) for magnetism, unpacking standards, connecting concepts to child's understanding and outcomes
- Sample planning map for internal combustion four cycle engine
Science big ideas unpacked - See also Science Concepts
- Concept measurement unpacked
- Concept science inquiry unpacked
- Concept matter unpacked
- Mapping the unified processes into content areas - electricity, seeds, matter and solutions blank,
- Early childhood planning information .
- Plastic bag piercing
- Planning template
- Learning about Acid Rain. A Teacher's Guide
Assorted planning resources
- Discrepant Events
- Format for an evidence based argument
- Data analysis, variables, relationships, and graphing notes (line graphs)
- Groups and self evaluation sample .
- Rubrics and scoring guides.
- Safety resources
- Science fairs - Judging suggestions, scoring guide construction suggestions, & sample investigation scoring guide / rubric.
- Science career related information - List of Science Careers -
- Interview Questions for Scientists
- Scientists - List of Scientists - Scientist MacCready photos to go with his story .
- Science theories and discoveries
- Standards documents
Use the Investigations Navigation Button (top left) to see actvities or tasks for students to participate in to facilitate their science literacy.
Assessment and evaluation tool
- General assesment tool box
- Instructional Indicators
- Evaluation simulation - includes assessment scenario with assessment and simulated student assessments to evaluate
- Suggestions for Reflecting on instructional practice
Rubrics or assessment ideas to evaluate instruction or facilitation of student learning
- Assorted scoring guides and rubrics
- Inquiry student observation based
- Inquiry environmental observation based
- Inquiry teacher observation based
Other Instructional Information
- Professional Development: Technology - Using the computer for: photos, audio, and video --->>> directions and tutorials...
Advocacy for Freedom of Information
- The Center for Digital Democracy (CDD) is recognized as one of the leading consumer protection and privacy organizations in the United States.