What questions would you like to ask about a water balloon from the freezer?
Write your questions below:
- Will each balloon look the same?
- Is there a difference if hot water or cold is put into the balloon?
- What if salt was poured on the ice?
- What if salt was poured on the balloon with the ice inside?
- Would it melt faster in a bowl of water or under running water?
- Is it hard all the way through?
- Why does salt melt ice?
- What if the balloon was filled with other liquids?
Select a question and tell how you would answer it.
What determines if a question is investigable? Write what the difference is between an investigable and non-investigable question.
Is it possible to change non-investigable questions into investigable questions?
Possible Materials: each group 2 frozen balloons (two days in freezer), container to float frozen balloons, water supply, flashlights, nails and maybe hammer to chip into ice, thermometer, food coloring, salt, ..
Write a good question and explain why you believe it is.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©