To educate we must know:
- Education requires a recognition that our beliefs and ideas are a product of our
condition and conditioning.
- Objectivity always contains within it a dimension of
- All ideas and opinions should continuously be
considered as subjective: open to investigate the origins, history, and
consequences associated with them.
- Without the qualities or virtues such as: a generous loving heart, respect
for others, tolerance, humility, a joyful disposition, love of life, openness to
what is new, a disposition to welcome change, perseverance in a struggle,
a refusal of determinism, a spirit of hope, and an openness to justice a
pedagogical practice that provides autonomy for students is not possible.
- Autonomy is not provided in one size fits all standardized instruction.
- Learners must out maneuver the banking system of education (banking information for later use). We must know how to teach (instructional and learning theory)so each
learner will approach the learning process in a manner that will make
their objects of learning (learning content) knowable.
- How to understand our students well enought (human developmental theories) to help them recognize they are the
architects of their own cognition process and provide them the freedom and autonomy to maintain their love of learning while we teach and they learn how to learn, find their talents and develop them to become highly able and successful learners who desire and are capable of taking charge of their education throughout their lives.
What are my beliefs about teaching?
- There is no teaching without learning. When we teach we search to
understand what the learner knows and with that search we intervene
which is to teach ourselves.
- It is impossible to live this openness in the world without inner security,
just as it is impossible to have that security without taking the risk of
- Authority comes from a self confident teacher interacting with students
who are curious and openly question what they know and what they don’t
know to increase their autonomy in the process of becoming whatever
they will become.
- Neutrality of education is impossible - Can’t be neutral. Study for the sake
of study is impossible. For what would you study? For whom? And why?
- Educability is being unfinished and is ethical because we must make
decisions and we can transgress in the decisions we make.
- If the teacher takes only one view, then the teacher can only realize the
teacher’s goals or views. And there will be no student autonomy.
- There is no such thing as teaching without research (systematic
investigation to verify information and new conclusions) and research
without teaching. Research and investigation unites theory and practice to result in principled procedures for teaching.
- I teach because I am curious and search for understanding. In doing so I
notice things and intervene.
- I am secure enough to share my curiosity and
questions. I am demanding enough to require sufficient research and
reflection to draw conclusions. And through these actions and interactions I educate and educate myself. I do research so as to know what I do not
yet know and to communicate and proclaim what I discover.
- Respect of autonomy and know learning requires this kind of practice