Unit Outline for The Lion King book/ Movie/ video
Inspired by Angie, Scott, Merrie
- Read aloud The Lion King
- Discuss the book - use story elements from elements of fiction
- Focus on the plot and characterization and how the author of the book uses narrative to build suspense for the plot and characterization.
- Use a web/chart/matrix/diagram to organize information about the character types. Characteristics of each? What literacy elements were used to portray each character type? Give examples of people in real life that fit the character types.
- Use a web/chart/matrix/diagram to organize information about the plot and how suspense and interest were created.
- Discuss how they believe suspense, plot, and characterization can be created without a narrator in the film.
- Assign pairs or small groups to focus on a particular character and note character types.
- Assign pairs or small groups to note how the plot compares with plot information found in the book.
- Assign pairs or small groups to watch for anything else that the class desires.
- View the film and collect data.
- Add information from the video to a web/chart/matrix/diagram.
- Compare the information on the chart for the book and video.
- How are they similar and different?
- Have students select a book and use the ideas they discovered to adapt the book into a video
- Create the video, tape, edit...
- Invite ... for first viewing of video.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©